Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day Five: Lesson Plans



Starting on Monday, I will be teaching an adult ESL summer school class at Vickery Meadow Learning Center. I teach there during the year and help out with various projects.
It is a very rewarding volunteer job and I am so glad that I am a part of it!

VMLC is an outstanding organization that promotes adult literacy in a densely populated and underserved part of Dallas. If you need a donation spot, I can't recommend VMLC enough, and they will definitely put the funds to good use. VMLC runs morning, afternoon, and evening classes for enrolled students and even offers childcare so that the adults can get the most out of their class time.

Here are some of my amazing students from the fall at our Christmas Party:

So serious! During the year, they are all smiles!

The summer school program runs 4 weeks long. There are three different beginning levels, an intermediate level, and an advanced level. I will be teaching the intermediate students. Our lessons this week focus on pronouns, grocery shopping, on the use of too much/too many, and on days of the week/months of the year. I put together my lessons and created my crafts. A large part of the lesson is fostering interaction with folks that are not quite confident of their English skills.
I am very excited to greet my students tomorrow on their first day of summer school, and I am so pleased that I have created some solid lessons to help us get started!

Lesson plans: the text, the activities, the outline of activities! Ready-Set-Go!
My assistant - helping me type up my lesson plans! So helpful!


No comments:

Post a Comment