Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy 87th!!

Monday, we celebrated Grandpa Griffiths' 87th birthday (87!!) by having a picnic at the Arboretum. Aunt Donna drove Grandma and Grandpa up from Tyler. Sue met us there, as did Susan and Margaret.  It was the last days of Dallas Blooms and the tulips were amazing. So large and vibrant. We walked around until we found a picnic spot in the (kind of) shade. 

Wyatt sang Happy Birthday To You to Grandpa. I think everyone had a nice time. There was lots of laughing and conversation over delicious sandwiches and cupcakes. Wyatt had about 16 glasses of sparkling lemonade.  

It was a nice testament to the patriarch of our family. His birthday is on April Fools, which always seems so cruel. I remember many a time Grandma encouraged us to wrap up some little thing to surprise him with - like a fake spider. It was hilarious to us, and he never let on that he was probably completely over "the joke" of having an April 1st birthday. That's the nice thing about grandpa - one of many. He never let on impatience or irritation. He was always so supportive and loving. Now that I have kids of my own, I know how hard it is to always reflect those feelings. Some days I want to have a box of Franzia (was always cooling in their fridge on Green Oaks), and just be by myself. But I never got that vibe from Grandpa. He was always up for a back ride to the bottom of the pool, for making a killer Caesar salad and spaghetti dinner off the cuff, or for conversation where he is actually interested in your opinion. One time, when I was probably eight, he asked me to bake some muffins for a meeting he had at work. That made me feel like I was on top of the world. He is a good grandpa. Happy birthday! 87 years young. :)You're pretty amazing.












No comments:

Post a Comment