Thursday, October 4, 2012

Johnny Appleseed Day




Sometimes I get out of the baby haze and manage to do something "educational" for Dub. On September 26, one of TWO days every year that Johnny Appleseed is celebrated, we did a few related activities. I created a board on Pinterest because there are so many great ideas already in existence, and I just used my favorites to create an apple themed day. 

We started by slicing apples, dipping them in pancake batter, and putting them on the griddle. Dub helped make the batter and helped use the toothpicks to dip the apple rings, so I thought he would love the final product. I think the look on his face says it all, don't you?


We read some books about old John Champman and about Apples in general - a way to kind of spark up interest. Then we made our own applesauce from scratch. 


And we finished up the day by inviting our friends Stephanie and Andrew over for some fingerpainting and apple coloring.

 
 
I tried to teach him the Johnny Appleseed prayer song, but that didn't go over too well. (Right now, he's stuck on Raffi's "Brush Your Teeth". :) However, he liked helping around the kitchen and painting stuff, so it was all a success in my book.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment