Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby Shower Banner



Getting ready for a big baby shower at our place this weekend for our friend...and I'm trying to crafty it up around here to prepare.

Today I whipped out my new sewing machine and since I have ONE LESSON under my belt (I can sew a straight line), decided to try and create a burlap banner.
This banner is super easy to put together and I think it adds a lot of sparkle. I used the nursery colors for baby Parker to tie it all together.

Okay, so first I printed a banner flag from the Internet. Then I traced the flag onto burlap. Burlap is kind of absolute crap to work with. It sheds, it moves a lot. So it's easier to trace and cut than to try and cut to the shape. I did it outside so all of the fuzz could blow away. Is that litter? No - birds can use it to make nests or whatever.


After I cut my flags, I cut out the letters for the baby's name and then traced them onto the flag with a Sharpie. I know you can use acrylic paint on burlap. I've tried that for pillows and it's decent. Sharpies are easier to control, more precise for corners, and they come in such a variety of colors, it's really my weapon of choice. I prefer to do this on top of a magazine because burlap is chunky and your color medium can easily bleed.


Once that was completed, I sewed all of the banner flags onto a piece of ribbon. I then did an overlay of another colored ribbon to tie in the nursery colors. Then I tied that up on my mantle.



So - easy peasy and I think it looks pretty solid. :) Happy Baby Shower to my friend, Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment