Soooo - maybe you know that fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love the colors and the (ahem!!) weather change and the pumpkin everything. I incorporated my favorite things into some games for W to play. The gourd sorting idea I adapted from Mailbox magazine. W and Ev both got into the whole thing. At first, I had labels so W had to sort them how I wanted it. After our initial sorting and discussion of the different types of gourds and pumpkins, I set the boxes on the coffee table and, low and behold, every couple of days I will see W getting the boxes out and sorting gourds according to something in his head. Ev wanted to play too, though I cannot discern his patterns.
For our second activity, I borrowed an idea from W's teacher, Ms. Amanda. She was working on patterns when I dropped W off at school one day. I thought...what better to teach patterns with than candy corn? It would sure motivate me to learn...Pattern: one for the activity, one for mama, one for the activity, one for mama, etc...
That activity worked pretty well. I had to help W figure out the pattern by repeating it and pointing to the pictures over and over. He eventually got it, but it was definitely a concept that we will need to continue to work on. Also - the template was easy to make. I just used Word and Clip Art.
Then we went back to something slightly less challenging - sorting - of a different ilk. I gave W a bowl full of the autumn mix candy corn. You know the kind with Indian corn, candy corn, and mallowcreme pumpkins. First I had him sort the mix into three different containers- easy. Then I had him pick one kind and count out the pieces. We also did a taste test. Since the items looked different, we were interested to know if they tasted any different...and they do. We described the look, texture, and taste of each.
For our final activity, we painted a candy corn pattern using corks from my favorite beverages.I don't have any pictures from the finished product. After drinking two bottles of wine to round out the supply list, mama went to bed. Not really....we were just all covered in paint.
Again - this is just a word document and a candy corn clip art. Nothing fancy.
Those are our fall activities so far. We are working on our fall bucket list and it is almost completed. I borrowed that idea from a friend and can't wait to debut our plans!
Happy Fall!!

No comments:
Post a Comment